Filled with pews from 1855, this chapel was restored to its original use (a number of pews being removed) in 1949, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. George, patron saint of crusaders (and, of course. England).
The east window (1889) is in memory of the Easton family (see the chancel) and depicts the Ascension of Jesus, with St Peter on the left and St John on the right. In the east wall is the base for a statue (of the Virgin Mary) now lost (or perhaps destroyed). In the south wall is a piscina (see above). The hanging lamp marks the aumbry, a safe built into the wall for consecrated bread and wine for the sick.
This south wall is dominated by the Crusader Tomb, possibly the effigy of Sir Roger des Andelys of Wyke Manor, killed in the crusade against the Albigenses (French heretics) between 1209 and 1217. The tomb was made c 1300 and was placed in this chapel which was added in about the mid-14th century. Note the remains of a canopy over it, and of an animal at the crusader's feet.
The windows in this wall were given (left) by Mr A.H. White in memory of his wife in 1934 and (right) by the Selfe family. The former depicts the Nunc Dimittis, the Song of Simeon at the Presentation of our Lord, as a baby in the Temple - another musical reference. The other window shows the crowd of apostles, martyrs, prophets, virgins, kings, confessors, bishops and children offering their worship to God in the heavenly city.