south entrance is dominated by the ancient yew tree, measured in 1993
as having a girth of 20' 7"
at 3'. It is hollow and, although yew trees are difficult to date, must
be at least as old as the church itself. The nearby large yew tree was
planted in 1759 (with a present girth of 8'). In this south west corner
are a number of fine 18th and 19th century table tombs and stones, the
earliest dated 1708. The churchyard has been extended twice, most recently
in 1990. The brick and flint walls marking the boundary of the old churchyard
date from 1676 and are characteristic
of the area. A very short stretch of the old east wall has been left in
the middle. Close to it is the grave of Dr Joseph Stevens, the village
physician from 1844 - 1881, and a keen amateur archaeologist. His book,
The Parochial History of St Mary Bourne (1888 & 1895), is the authoritative
local history. At the far south-east corner of the second extension is
the grave of Col Kitchener, brother of Lord Kitchener of Khartoum.