This dates from the late 12th century and was restored
in 1855 by the Lay Rector, the Hospital of St Cross in Winchester, and
the Earl of Portsmouth of Hurstbourne Priors. It was then that the roof
was raised to enable the height of the present east window.
There are few memorials in the chancel, most to members of die Easton family. William Easton was vicar between 1817 and 1831. He and his family were involved in an agricultural riot in 1830 (4 years before the Tolpuddle Martyrs) which ended in a number of the leaders, local men, being transported to Australia. (The story is told by Ian Anstruther, The Scandal of the Andover Workhouse (London 1973). pp.65ff). Behind the altar, and therefore now unseen is a memorial in the east wall to Smith Stone who died in 1724, and was vicar here: interesting, as his name is not recorded on the list in the south aisle.
The altar rails, of oak, are from the time of Archbishop Laud, c. 1620, who thus protected altars from desecration.
The piscine - the small recess in the south wall
(another in the south wall of the Wyke Aisle) was for water for washing
the priest's hands and holy vessels at Communion.
The Organ dates from 1853 and was originally in a gallery in the tower. In 1910 the organ was moved to its present position in a specially built chamber, and the choir stalls were added.
Looking from the font, you may notice that the altar is not quite central:
this is deliberate, because Jesus is shown as resting his head to the
left in the crucifixion in the east window.